Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Day Two:

Today is day two and it has been more difficult. I guess the lack of sugar has started setting in.... headaches and sleepiness. Its actually kinda gross when you think about it, how much we "need" sugar. I've been studying a lot in the word today, some in Matthew 6 and some in Colossians 1. Which totally don't have anything to do with each other, but God brought me to Matthew 6 this morning and Ms. Delnora taught on Colossians 1 tonight.


Matthew 6 is jam-packed with a lot of awesome stuff. God really brought me to the end of the chapter, where it talks about the Father taking care of the birds and dressing the lilies of the field. If God cares enough to make sure that the birds are fed, and has taken the time to dress the lilies so beautifully, how much more does he care about us? I guess something that I've realized is that its not worth the anxiety of always worrying if I know that my Heavenly Father's got my back anyway. Why not let him take care of it if he's going to anyway? There's a song that I love that says, "I know that if your eye is on the sparrow, then your heart is on me." I think that summarizes this passage beautifully :)


I think one of the coolest things is that it goes on to say to "seek first His kingdom and His righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you"....think about that for a second. I think that a lot of us know this verse from hearing it, or maybe even reading it at some point in our lives. But how many can say they know the context?.....And WHAT shall be added unto you? How do you know if you don't read the verses leading up to it?


God is going to take care of us. Hands down. He knows our needs and meets them. Something I heard recently was this....God is rarely early, but never late. That so ties in here. Why be so anxious if God is going to meet our needs in His timeframe anyway? I think its awesome how God puts responsibilities on us and loves to see us carry those out.


....Seek first His kingdom and His righteousness. Thats a responsibility. If you're friends with me on Facebook, you might've read my note that I wrote a week or two ago. Just within the first few sentences you will find out that I got a hold of the Kingdom of God this year. Its huge. Its the culture we live in as Christians. It is our God-given responsibility to seek out His kingdom and righteousness and find out what its all about. God wants us to know Him (the king) and His kingdom- its the world he lives in and so craves for us to be a part of and to have understanding about. I'm not sure if I'm making any sense, but ever since this summer it has been on my heart for people to understand or further understand what the Kingdom of God is all about-- how it functions, what it looks like, what our role it, and how we apply the kingdom to our lives and live in it as citizens.


Ok, I think I've about worn out Matthew 6 for tonight :)


Colossians is a book that, in general, is talking about Jesus as the head of the church, though it is much more complex. We only covered 10 verses tonight, but that is something that I love about Ms. Delnora- she takes the Word in small chunks and really gets to the meaning of that little bit before moving on. We talked about the kingdom of darkness, which is basically the kingdom we are born into- it is the kindom where satan has dominion. When we become Christians we switch kingdoms- we are transferred into the Kingdom where God has full-on authority and jurisdiction....the Kingdom of Heaven. I think it is so vital for every believer to have foundational understanding of God's Kingdom. It just makes so much more sense when you know about the "world" you're living in and that you've been living in since the day you transferred kingdoms.

Hah. Maybe they do have something to do with each other.

Anyway, there was more on that scripture that I wanted to get to, but I think I'll let you guys read it yourself. Its getting late :)


Have a wonderful night, or....whenever you're reading this.


Abby

No comments: